- The Course
- Driving Range
- The Club
- The Professional Shop
- Contact Us
In about 1898, Major W.S.R. Cox and his brother, Captain J.A. Cox, started organising golf matches on what is known as the Old Racecourse at Weirend. The formation, under the Presidency of the Earl of Chesterfield, of Ross Golf Club in 1903, was a natural outcome of these games. The Club had 80 members.
For 22 years, the Club used a course at Alton Court. Players had to cross a railway line twice, climb up to a reservoir 150 feet up and avoid the perils of the local rifle range. In later years, a Club President was to say that this course would have won the prize for ' the worst course in Europe '.
In 1925 the Club moved to Rudhall, where the land was leased for a nine-hole course. In March, the late J. H. Taylor - many times Open Champion - came to Rudhall to lay out the course. In about 1957, members began to feel they would prefer a new 18-hole course, and one which was within the ownership of the Club.
In 1961, after rejecting many sites, an option was obtained on land at Jays Green. Mr C.K.Cotton, the well-known golf architect, warned that the woodland would be difficult to develop, in spite of this however, he prepared several alternative layouts, and agreed to be the architect, with the Club carrying out the work by direct labour, under the supervision of a Sub-Committee.
The cost of the entire project, including a well-equipped Clubhouse, was approximately £42000.00. This could have been up to £75000.00, if much of the work had not been done by direct labour, and the cultivation and seeding had not been carried out by farmer members.
Half the capital was provided by members' loans and debentures. The remainder was found by grant from the Central Council of Physical Recreation, and a long-term loan negotiated through the Ross and Whitchurch Rural District Council. The go-ahead for the operation was given in the Summer of 1961 and in the Autumn, foresters were cutting down thousands of trees in readiness for the bulldozers to move in, to push clear masses of roots and stumps, and to shape the required contours of fairways and greens.
The first nine greens and tees were seeded in the Autumn of 1962 and the sowing of the first nine fairways took place in August 1963. That year also saw the marking out of the fairways for the second nine holes, and the cleaving of the trees. In July 1964, the Club played its last match on the Rudhall course. On the 1st August 1964, the first nine holes were officially opened by the Club President, Col. J. F. Maclean, H.M.L., J.P. In late 1963, final approval had been given for the Clubhouse construction. In June 1965, Mrs Maclean opened the new Clubhouse on behalf of the President. Previously the Club had never possessed more than a wooden Clubhouse, but now enjoys a fine two-storey building, with a veranda, giving splendid views of the ninth and eighteenth holes.
The course, which was officially opened by Mr J. J. E. Pennick, President of the English Golf Union on 7th May 1967, has a length of 6,451 yards, with a premium on accuracy due to the attractive but testing, tree-lined fairways. The Standard Scratch Score was 73.